Thursday, October 15, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I very recently learned of this series of books and so far from what I can tell, they are really great. There are four books in the series; the fourth just came out on the 12th of October. The idea for these books actually started out as an online comic, written by Jeff Kinney. The comic eventually became so loved and the demand became so high that Kinney pursued publication of his ideas. The first book came as a result of nine years of brainstorming, writing, and illustrating. Kinney said in an interview that he "wanted to write a story about all of the funny parts about growing up, and none of the serious parts." I think this is exactly why kids love these books - they are able to relate to the main character. I imagine they see a bit of themselves in Greg's awkwardness; I know I did when I was reading through the first book.

Greg Heffley is the main character and owner of the diary, which he attempts to convince readers is actually a journal. The stories follow him through the quirkiness of his life. Some of the events we as readers get to experience with Greg in this first book include trick or treating on Halloween, Christmas morning and not getting many presents that he likes at all, and being a part of the school production of Wizard of Oz.

Check 'em out, they're kind of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment